Tuesday, February 07, 2012

BEE BOOK BUZZ: DOG GONE by CYNTHIA CHAPMAN WILLIS

Today, the bee book buzz is all about Dill and dog named Dead End. In DOG GONE, you might hear some barking, along with the buzz about this wonderful middle grade novel by KidLit Author, Cynthia Chapman Willis



In DOG GONE, twelve-year-old Dill is desperately trying to keep her family from falling apart. Her mother has died, her father is throwing himself into his work as a result, and her dog may be getting into trouble that might have something to do with the pack of dogs that is destroying local livestock. How far will Dill and her best friend, a boy nicknamed Cub, go to uncover the truth and hold together a family that seems to be unraveling?

If you were a bee, which would you be and why?
a) Queen (hive revolves around her. She lays around 1500 eggs a day for two to three years)
b) Drone (impregnates queen and dies)
c) Worker bee (Works non-stop building hive, pollinating, gathering nectar, making honey, feeding baby bees. Lives about 6 weeks and dies)



 I think I would be a worker bee. Working non-stop building, pollinating, gathering, and making honey sounds the most like what writers do when putting together stories. And I am happiest when I am writing and creating stories. 

Same question for your main character? Queen, drone, or worker?
I think Dill, the main character in DOG GONE, would also be a worker bee. Dill is quite the busy girl in the story. She takes care of her dad and grandfather, cooks and cleans, and works at her local stable, all while trying to figure out if her beloved dog has been getting into trouble.
 


Bees pollinate most of the vegetables and fruits that we love to eat.Did you eat your vegetables when you were a kid?
Most of them. I have always liked vegetables, although I didn't like peas as a kid and I've never liked celery. Now I like peas, but celery and I still don't get along.

What's your favorite fruit or vegetable? (more than one is fine)
I love figs, avocados, and cherries. I even have fig trees (5 of them) that grow yummy figs during the summer. 
What's your MC's favorite fruit or vegetable?
Apples, with carrots as a close runner up.

Bees pollinate plants and flowers, too. What's your favorite flower?
Either a rose or a black-eyed susan. I can't decide which is my favorite.

Are flowers mentioned in your latest book?
I have butterfly bushes with purple flowers in the novel that I am working on now. 

 Wax on, wax off. Beeswax is useful for so many products, including skincare items and candles. On your most recent birthday, were you able to blow out all of your candles on the first try?
Yes, but I've had years of practice.

How old is your MC?
Dill is twelve years old.

My causes are bees, trees, seas, and all things affecting our environment.What's important to you besides writing for children and or young adults?
I love animals, so I am always pulled toward helping and protecting them.

Books and bees make life sweeter every day. If you had to choose: Honey or sugar?
Honey! 

4 comments:

Alissa Grosso said...

Lots of fun, ladies!

Mirka Breen said...

Dog Gone is one of the best titles I've heard in a while.

Cynthia Chapman Willis said...

Thanks, Alison! I really appreciate the opportunity to be on your wonderful blog. : )

Ruth Schiffmann said...

Fun interview. Looks like a great book. I'm glad to hear of it here and am adding it to my TBR list.