Monday, February 27, 2012

Bee Book Buzz: DOT by Patricia Intriago

Follow every DOT for a fun adventure through this whimsical book written and illustrated by KidLit's own Patricia Intriago. By the way, DOT is a finalist for the 2012 Children's Choice Book Awards.



Enjoy this Bee Book Buzz with Patricia.

If you were a bee, which kind (queen, drone, worker) would you be and why?
Definitely a worker bee. I love to work and I enjoy the camaraderie of women friends. I would be happy spending my days nestled deep within flowers all day. Plus, I look good in a yellow jacket.

Bees pollinate most of the vegetables and fruits that we love to eat. Did you eat your vegetables when you were a kid?
Yes, I had no problem with vegetables and I love them today. I forced my sons to eat their vegetables as young children and today they willingly eat their vegetables without being told. Although sometimes peas are a problem.

What's your favorite fruit or vegetable?
Tender lettuces and herbs of all kinds are my favorite vegetables (assuming herbs are in that category). I could even be happy just smelling them. As for fruits, I love cherries, peaches, plums, and barely ripe bananas. If avocado is a fruit, we can add those too.

Bees pollinate plants and flowers, too. What's your favorite flower?
I love flowers: Roses and Andromeda for their smell. I love to visit the Bronx Botanical Garden in the late spring when their roses are in bloom; it’s amazing how differently roses can smell. Cabbage roses are my favorite flower for their beauty. I love hydrangeas (especially the light green ones). I’ve always wanted to have a garden made up of different kinds of white flowers. Growing up in Miami, there was a gardenia bush outside my bedroom window. In the morning, my room would be filled with that strong fragrance and it was heavenly. (I’m not a huge fan of tulips, carnations or impatiens.)

Are flowers mentioned in your latest book?
I’m trying to find a way to use a flower in my next book (because I love them so much) but it’s taking a lot of thought.

Wax on, wax off. Beeswax is useful for so many products, including skincare items and candles. On your most recent birthday, were you able to blow out all of your candles on the first try?
Because of the huge waste of wax, I only allow one candle on my cake. Yes, I was able to blow it out.

 My causes are bees, trees, seas, and all things affecting our environment. What's important to you besides writing for children and or young adults?
I would like people to know that I stand for kindness, fairness and seeing things with a sense of humor.

No comments: