Thursday, February 16, 2012

Bee Book Buzz: JEREMY OWL & UNDER THE BANYAN TREE by Toni De Palma

Today's Bee Book Buzz is all about Toni De Palma, KidLit author of the critically acclaimed middle grade novels JEREMY OWL and UNDER THE BANYON TREE. Toni's young adult novel out later this Spring is THE DEVIL'S TRIANGLE about 17-year-old Cooper, a bad boy who gets another chance at life after he burns his school and dies in the process. When he returns to earth, Cooper realizes that earning a chance at heaven is not as important as gaining the love of the girl he loves.







Here's the Bee Buzz with Toni. Enjoy!

If you were a bee, which would you be and why?
Definitely a worker bee. Worker bees get things done. Nobody ever wrote a book without putting a lot of effort and work into it.

Same question for your main character? Queen, drone, or worker?
All of my characters are worker bees too. Their stories compel them to act and to use their wits when facing major challenges.

Bees pollinate most of the fruits and vegetables we love to eat. When you were a kid, did you eat your vegetables?
I must confess, I hated vegetables, but now I love them. Someone once told me that as kids, our taste buds are very sensitive so the strong taste of vegetables is actually a turn off to us. I'm not sure that this is scientifically true, but my tastes have definitely changed now that I'm an adult.

What's your favorite fruit or vegetable? (more than one is fine)
I love spinach! As a kid I used to watch Popeye with my grandpa all the time.

What's your main characters' favorite fruit or vegetable? 
Jeremy would rather dissect something creepy and crawly. He's not too particular when it comes to food. Irena loves tropical fruits like mangoes. Cooper is too busy battling the Devil to think of food. He's currently on a diet of fast food, I'm afraid.

Bees pollinate plants and flowers, too. What's your favorite flower? 
I love sunflowers and daisies.

Wax on, wax off. Beeswax is useful for so many products, including skincare items and candles. On your most recent birthday, were you able to blow out all of your candles on the first try? 
Yes, but only because my husband didn't put the total number of candles that reflect my age :)

Have you ever competed in a spelling bee?
I never did, but my son did. Ironically, the word he lost on was success. He's not forgotten how to spell it since!

My causes are bees, trees, seas, and all things affecting our environment.
What's important to you besides writing for children and or young adults? 
I love animals, especially dogs!!

Books and bees make life sweeter every day. If you had to choose: Honey or sugar? Honey - it's natural and a gorgeous color. I love the way it reflects the light as it dribbles into my tea.


No comments: